RE: What notebook did you buy?

Subject: RE: What notebook did you buy?
From: "Joe Malin" <jmalin -at- tuvox -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 11:56:23 -0700

Apple laptops have a certain standard of quality; after all, it's one
company producing them.

Windows laptops are not created equal, because wildly different
companies have produced them over the years. Some are quite reliable,
others are known to be, well, let's just say "less than reliable."

I suppose that Apples are also more reliable because they're less
susceptible to computer viruses and other attacks. Also, there's less
you can do to the internal software to cause problems.

>From 1996 to 2001, I used various types of laptops as my main computer.
I had a Texas Instrument and two Toshibas. The TI was a piece of junk,
and TI was not very helpful. The Toshibas were excellent and so reliable
that I never had to go to Toshiba for help.

I now have a Dell Inspiron 6000 which so far (knock on wood) has
performed flawlessly. I chose it because I have a huge investment in
Windows knowledge and Windows software, and because I was concerned that
Adobe is pulling its support for FM for Mac.

I warn you: I have a very technical background, so I mostly maintain my
own computers. I can't fix a laptop's hardware but I can usually figure
out software problems and configure the OS (even XP). I constantly see
people having problems with their laptops, but so far that hasn't
happened to me. I don't know why. Part of it may be that I don't bang
mine around while traveling.

Joe

At 10:46 AM -0700 2005/04/11, Amanda_Abelove -at- toyota -dot- com wrote:
>I need to get a new notebook. It will be my only computer, with
>backups to CDs. I will be running the usual techwriting software. I'd

>really like to hear from anyone who bought their own laptop to use as a

>contractor as to what laptop they bought and how it is working out.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com