RE: A technique to get on development's good side

Subject: RE: A technique to get on development's good side
From: "Daniel Pitre" <dpitre -at- guarded -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 12:54:57 -0400

Gaff #1: "laying claim" NOT "laying clam"

This is my first post, so if (or when) I make some gaff, please let me
know and I'll immediately recant, beg forgiveness and generally show
remorse for my erroneous ways.

That said, I would like to chime in on the "getting on dev's good side"
topic. It is my humble opinion that often those who are "Technical
Writers" are perceived to be lacking in one (or both) of the domains of
expertise the title indicates. Developers maintain a high level of
proficiency in their domain of knowledge, and expect that those around
them will have a clear understanding of the underlying principles before
laying clam to knowledge. The measure of a person's worth in a
Development organization is their perceived level of knowledge and their
ability to contribute to the solution. I have found that an honest
assessment of your level of technical knowledge and a frank and open
dialog about your strengths and weaknesses will win out over posing and
pretending to be the expert. Content trumps style until the cows come
home.

In short, technical knowledge should be an ongoing project for every
"Technical" writer. The best developers never stop learning, and if a
Technical writer wants to gain "street cred" with them, join in.

I know this is lengthy and pointed toward those who were not previously
"developers". But it's an opinion, nothing more...and nothing less.
Thoughts?

"Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you tithe mint,
dill, and cumin, and have neglected the weightier matters of the law:
justice and mercy and faith. It is these you ought to have practiced
without neglecting the others. "

Matthew 23:23

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com