RE: Client Newsletter

Subject: RE: Client Newsletter
From: "Laurel Hickey" <lhickey -at- 2morrow -dot- bc -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 11:27:55 -0700

Hi Lyda

I've been involved in a few newsletters - mostly in the health care field as
well. I think part of the problem might stem from your stated purpose for
the newsletter. If "help and support" are really the only reasons for having
the newsletter, then I agree with another answer that a newsletter probably
isn't the best route.

Most newsletters (in no particular order):
...Have lighter tone and feel and pleasing graphic design more in keeping
with marketing materials and not technical
...Introduce new products, procedures, software, etc., but with the
technical part of the info available elsewhere in more detail and better
cross-referenced
...Problem solve in a very positive manner and with a more personal touch
(often article-like)
...Put a human face on the people involved with photos, bios and personal
statements, introduction of new staff, etc
...Do significant community building with the clients with events, etc.
Perhaps even a profile of a client in each issue if appropriate.

These newsletters are usually print so that people have more varied access
to them and can take them to the bathroom, but with pdfs and/or html
versions online as well.

Perhaps "technical bulletin" (print and/or online and/or help system) is
what you intend, not a newsletter? If so, then the technical writers are
likely the best group to handle it and after the first issue at least, I'm
betting nobody else would want to!

If the newsletter includes all or even most of the list I have (and there
are more possibilities of course), then your even having to ask if the
writing should be different than your usual technical writing is a red flag.
Just keep asking yourself what the newsletter is intended to accomplish for
the client and for your company.

PS: I like cartoons in user guides! ;-)

Laurel Hickey
2morrow writing & document design
lhickey -at- 2morrow -dot- bc -dot- ca
http://www.2morrow.bc.ca

Purpose: to answer client mandate for more up-to-date help and support

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com