Re: Client Newsletter

Subject: Re: Client Newsletter
From: Steven Brown <stevenabrown -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 11:34:02 -0700 (PDT)

Lyda,

I'm on the verge myself of trying to create a client
newsletter, so this will be a very interesting thread.

Bottom line: Anyone can go through the physical act of
creating a newsletter. A Marketing staff can do it
just as well as technical writers. That said, the most
compelling arguement in your proposal is this:

"We are already focused on writing for the client
which is different than writing for sales or for
internal use."

I would rephrase that slightly to something like this:

"We focus on writing that supports efficient use of
the application, whereas Marketing focuses on writing
that drives sales."

Skip the other bulleted items. Use this one to
differentiate Tech Pubs from Marketing, but realize
that at the end of the day you'll have to collaborate
very closely with them. That's a good thing. We can
learn a lot from them. (Refer to my thread on
conversational writing!) And don't forget Training;
remember that Tech Pubs and Training are in the same
business...education, whether it's online help,
manuals, CBTs, newsletters, etc.

Steven Brown
Technical Writer

--- Lyda Woods <lwoods -at- plexisweb -dot- com> wrote:

> Why Technical Writers should publish the newsletter
> as its editors:
>
> * Our work makes us very familiar with technical
> writing
> standards, best practices for image capture, and for
> knowledge
> management
> * We understand the editing process: from early
> developmental editing to proofreading
> * Having been edited ourselves often we know how to
> be
> compassionate editors for others
> * We are already focused on writing for the client
> which
> is different than writing for sales or for internal
> use
>
> The work will give us a chance to learn from others
> inside the company,
> such as tech support with whom we would like more
> interaction.

Discover Yahoo!
http://discover.yahoo.com/online.html

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com