Re: Auto run CDs

Subject: Re: Auto run CDs
From: Ed Wurster <glassnet -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 14 May 2005 07:36:21 -0400

Michael Collier wrote:

> I'll be adding an autorun.inf file to the CD root that launches an HTML
> page to be used for navigating the CD's contents.

> Is support for autorun widespread enough that the vast majority of users
> will be able to insert the CD and have the navigation page come up
> automatically, or is autorun contingent upon CD drivers, hardware,
> operating systems, etc.?

> I think most of our users will have computers new enough that they support
> Windows scripting (needed for autorun), but I'm wondering if there are
> other sources of problems I should anticipate. I only need to worry about
> Windows users for this CD.

I think it's an ok idea. However, some users will have scripting
disabled, or autorun shut off for some/all drives. It is potential for
security breach, and that is why an admin would disable the feature.

If you do this, also include instructions for starting. "Insert the CD
and browse to..."

--
Ed Wurster
Tech Tips Blog