RE: Another Newbie question about procedures

Subject: RE: Another Newbie question about procedures
From: "Kathleen" <keamac -at- cox -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 15 May 2005 07:29:35 -0700

Carrie,

I'd leave "click Ok" in, primarily because it completes the stage/steps,
but a lot of people don't. I don't usually document the Help or Cancel
buttons.

But I'm wondering if there might be something more important to be
thinking about in those documents than removing the OK/Cancel
instructions. Unless you're trying to get a feel for how to write new
documentation or following instructions for cleaning up legacy material,
removing the OK/Cancel instructions seems to be make-work to me. And
there's usually a lot of work that could be done to make previous
material clearer and/or update it to current revisions. I'd suggest
working through the steps to verify they're complete and account for the
appropriate situations. Also check the screen shots for accuracy (and
spelling)--they can change in a flash w/o anyone remembering to tell the
tech writer.

Kathleen