RE: Leprosy?

Subject: RE: Leprosy?
From: "Joe Malin" <jmalin -at- tuvox -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 10:29:25 -0700

Dear Peter,

This has happened to me before. In fact, the company I work for now had
my position posted for about a month after I joined! I had to tell them
to take it down.

Some of the reasons a job might be posted without any evident hiring
activity are:
* They want to offer the job to an insider but have to follow
procedures.
* They have a position open but it's on hold because of some
company-wide situation.
* They have a position open and they're interviewing, but they're not
taking any more
applications.
* They have a position open, they're interviewing, and they're taking
applications, but
they're just not interested in you.
* They have a position open, they're interviewing, and they're taking
applications, but
their policy (formal or otherwise) is not to take applications through
HR.
* They have a position open, they're interviewing, and they're taking
applications, but
the hiring manager and HR are disconnected.
* They don't have a position open but they forgot to take down the
posting.

All of these situations are equally likely.

I do submit resumes to HR or recruiting reps at companies, but I never
expect very much from them. I hardly expect more from the current crop
of recruiters, who seem to be a very uneven bunch. I recommend instead
that you contact friends and acquaintances for leads.

Don't take this situation personally. Nobody gets a job because they're
the most qualified. They get the job because they sell themselves to the
person who has the hiring authority. You have to find that person and
get in front of him/her. And don't forget that it also takes a bit of
luck.

Don't blame HR. HR's job is to filter out the mass of people going after
jobs, according to the parameters set by the hiring manager. If the
hiring manager doesn't do this well, HR can't do any better.

Joe