Re: From technical writing to business analysis?

Subject: Re: From technical writing to business analysis?
From: hls_ut -at- comcast -dot- net
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 18:41:15 +0000

Sona,

Firstly, I'm an employee at a very large corporation, and I like being a TWer. However, I've been asked to put my work (as a TWer) on hold to perform a PM-ish role in troublesome implementation. Oh fun--I must avoid stepping on political landmines and placate the PM who is still here. Oh well, that's helping pay for my "real" work, so I'll do it for a few months. In the past, I've done lots of BA activities in addition to or even instead of being a TWer.

Over the past 10 years I've been pushed by The Powers That Be several times to go over the wall--to "become a BA". I believe that is because many in leadership have no idea what TWers do--most of them wouldn't know a TWer if they stepped on one.

While there may be a natural tendency for TWers to become BAs, I suspect some of us may end up there simply to remain employed. "Gee, we don't have any TW assignments, but I can get you lots of nauseating work as a BA. You'll either take that or be laid off. Oh darn, your job code is TW, so that won't work."

Obviously I'll compromise to a certain extent to please TPTB, but I won't surrender!

sign me--
a reluctant sometimes BA

--------------------hls_ut -at- comcast -dot- net

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com