Re: TOOLS: Seeking "speshul" ergonomic chair

Subject: Re: TOOLS: Seeking "speshul" ergonomic chair
From: David Neeley <dbneeley -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 18:17:16 -0500

The "ergo rests" shown in the illustration are installed in a totally
wrong manner. Look at the model's arms--they rise from the elbow to
the keyboard, then the keyboard is sloped up causing further
constriction of the carpal tunnel.

If you have the keyboard properly located, the level of your elbows
will be slightly above the level of the keyboard. To attain maximum
adjustability, I use a "scooter" from Herman Miller:
http://www.hermanmiller.com/CDA/SSA/Product/0,1592,a8-c440-p156,00.html
(Mine is an older model with a flat gray surface rather than the wood
that is used currently.)

One of the most common problems with adjustable chairs is that they
are used by people who haven't much of a clue about how to adjust them
properly. For example, the seat for those of us who work at the
keyboard all day should be tilted slightly forward--up to about 4
degrees--to relieve pressure on the thighs and thus improve
circulation.

Were I buying a new chair today, I'd be interested in several. The
probable winner would be the Capisco chair from Hag (the original
designers of the Balans "kneeling" chairs, of which I own two at
present). http://www.hag.no/hag_us.nsf/pages/products

The Capisco can be adjusted from seated height to full stand-up, stool
height--and its saddle-like seat allows full circulation in the legs.
They have several other models that are also excellent (get a load of
their "Swing" or their "Pantonic"!).

Another interesting design is the Swopper:
http://www.workchairs.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=21

Someone mentioned the Aeron: be aware that not everyone finds them so
comfortable, particularly as a task chair. Herman Miller has also come
out with a considerably cheaper chair with many of the same features,
the Mirra: http://www.officedesigns.com/officedesigns/mirrachair.html

Personally, I use a BodyBilt chair:
http://www.bodybilt.com/?module=product&action=details&id=2 I often
alternate that with one of my Balans chairs, but occasionally I play
with a ball chair I found in a thrift store locally for $5. The one I
have is from Gaiam originally:
http://www.gaiam.com/retail/product.asp?product%5Fid=95-1004

That one has easily-replaced arms if you wish to try the forearm
support types. However, I find that if the keyboard is properly
arranged my forearms and wrists don't rest on any surfaces. In fact,
for simple task purposes arms are occasionally in the way.

Before you folks get the impression that my "collection" is costly...I
have found nearly everything but one of my Balans chairs at various
thrift stores and garage sales. The Bodbilt chair was $125 in like-new
condition from a used office furniture store, the second Balans was
$10 at a Goodwill, the Scooter was $12, etc. The point is that once
you begin to understand the issues, you too can probably find a
bargain if you look for a bit.

I have found that a good-condition used chair of high quality is worth
far more than a new one of indifferent quality--and a good chair is
one of the greatest contributions to health and productivity.

Good luck!

David

On 5/16/05, mlist -at- safenet-inc -dot- com <mlist -at- safenet-inc -dot- com> wrote:

> Barry Campbell [mailto:barry -dot- campbell -at- gmail -dot- com] expounded:
>
> > One of the only relics left from my days toiling in the dot-com
> > vineyards, other than some good friends and business contacts (and
> > some worthless stock) is my fondness for Aeron chairs.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com