Re: Document management, Content management

Subject: Re: Document management, Content management
From: Kate Stout <stout -dot- k -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 10:38:41 -0400

The company I'm working with also needs to track internal documents and information. I just left that out to simplify the problem. And I'd like to use the same tools for both problems, if I can.

So your pointer to owl is interesting.

Thanks,

Kate

Simon North wrote:

By a strange coincidence, I am in a very similar situation, with a few
major differences: I also want the system so I can find useful sources
of information more easily, I'm trying to nursemaid the company from
being a small company where everyone knew everyone and could just ask
for help to a medium-sized company where things need to be less
dependent on individuals, I want to include the whole company (sales,
marketing, R&D, etc.).
I hunted around for a compromise between ease of use and power. I
figured there would be no point in having a full-scale (restrictive)
document management system as it would simply not be used. I opted for
OWL (http://sourceforge.net/projects/owl).
It took me about 2 days to get everything up and running
satisfactorily. Being open source, there are no upfront purchase costs,
but there's a lot to install. You need OWL, PHP, Apache, and mysql, but
they are fairly straightforward. It gets a little tacky if you want to
be able to index and search the contents of PowerPoint files as well as
Word and PDF files, but if you get that far I can give you some tips.
Contact me offline if you need to know more.
Simon.

Quintiq Application Software BV
's Hertogenbosch, The Netherlands

--