Line Size for page (FM 7.1)

Subject: Line Size for page (FM 7.1)
From: "Joe Malin" <jmalin -at- tuvox -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 11:25:56 -0700

Hi!

I'm designing a book pretty much from scratch, using FrameMaker 7.1. The
company used to use a 7x9 page size, but we don't actually print our
books, we distribute them in PDF format and then expect our customers to
read them online or print them off on a laser printer. If you print a
7x9 book to laser, you get a small amount of info in the middle of big
blank space, which is not only hard to read but wastes paper. For that
reason, I thought to change the page size to 8.5x11.

At first, I used margins of
* 1.25" left , 1" right (right page),
* 1.125" left 1.75" right (left page)
* 1.125" top
* 1.375" bottom

Now I'm wondering if this is too large of a line length. Is there any
data out there that suggest the optimum line length for reading? I note
that my margins are real close to the default margins that MS Word uses
in normal.dot for a 8.5x11 page, but of course that doesn't prove
anything (other than that I'm channeling the mind of someone up in
Seattle...).

Joe

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com