RE: [HOWTO] Web Domain Registration [LONG]

Subject: RE: [HOWTO] Web Domain Registration [LONG]
From: "Kathleen" <keamac -at- cox -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 21 May 2005 19:45:01 -0700

Thanks for the addendum to your earlier HOWTO, Lou.

I found a place to register and park my name until I can get the name
server ids from my local internet server (host) and set up the "vanity
account."

I was going to ask if there was any special reason to use a DNS, but
after checking out one of the DNS companies, I guess the answer is they
can help keep your site up? And there's a lot less work to it?

At the moment I don't mind doing the work because I have some time and I
enjoy the chance to learn more about how things are done. I'm primarily
using the website to hold some of my work samples (and learn more) while
looking for a new job, and I didn't want to just give it my name. So the
idea of a domain name was somewhat of a snowball, but I can probably
afford $20 right now, even though I can't justify more.

But, I know I only understand the tip of the iceberg, so if I had the
money, I'd probably pay to have it done. I think it would be most
important to have reliability if I was trying to run a business via the
internet.

Re Char's and Michelle's comments, I think there is definitely a place
for hand-holding, and I can empathize with their position. On the other
hand, in my position I'd prefer to have it all in my name and not have
to worry about whether I need to trust the company (Char and Michelle,
please don't take my comment wrong, I'm sure I can trust your
companies). Some of the agreements (e.g., Yahoo) specifically mention
they can change their price at any time. Given my experience with other
businesses I'll leave unnamed, I'd rather not have to trust in any
company's goodwill.

Sorry this is so long, another snowball!

Kathleen