Domain Names and Webhosting

Subject: Domain Names and Webhosting
From: "Spitzer, Judd L" <judd -dot- l -dot- spitzer -at- lmco -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 23 May 2005 06:47:55 -0400

Hey Kathleen, et al.,

You said:

>I'd like to register a domain name, and though I'd like to do it as
cheaply as possible, I don't
>want all that junk on my site. If I had anything, I'd prefer to select
my own.

Probably the best deal going that I have seen is directnic.com

The deal is $15 to register your domain name, this includes free
hosting. They advertise directnic.com on a banner on your site. You
won't have any other ads than that. So for $15 a year, that's not bad.
For $15 more a year, they will give you bannerless hosting.

The hosting is extremely basic. No access to CGI, PHP, mySQL or any
other services.

If you are looking for a website that is primarily HTML/javascript, this
is the way to go, and the least expensive from what I've seen, and you
really don't have to know a whole lot to get going.

If you do want to move your domain to a more robust server, you can
configure the DNS server through directnic's self-service area, and run
your website from any webserver you want. It's definitely worth
checking out.

Cheers,

Judd

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com