Re: Contractor pay (was: Tech Writers as Hourly Employees?!)

Subject: Re: Contractor pay (was: Tech Writers as Hourly Employees?!)
From: HBacheler -at- aol -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 23 May 2005 14:20:08 EDT

To All.
Here are some factors you can agree with, or not.

An Independent Contractor is a 'Small Business'.

NOTE: BEFORE YOU TAKE THIS INFORMATION AS ACCURATE, CONTACT YOUR LAWYER,
ACCOUNTANT, TAX ADVISOR (Income Tax, Social Security).

Figures ARE ESTIMATES ONLY.

Gross hours available = 2080

1720 hours of work (paid)
360 hours - Marketing (looking for new business), sick, family business,
vacation (unpaid)

2080 hours

Independent Contractor - Pays all of the 15 percent FICA (Social Security)
(I don't know what the medicare 'contribution' is)

This EXAMPLE is figured as if you were in the 20 per cent income bracket

Salary equal $25.00 per hour times 1720 equals $43,000.00
Taxes equal $43,000.00 times 20 percent equals $8,600.00
Social Security equals $43,000.00 times 15 percent equals $6,450.00

Don't forget your State Income Tax

I don't think I need to go any further in the example as the TAX shown above
is at 35 percent of your 'earnings'.

In all of the books on consulting that I have read, it is recommended that
you use the rule of 3 as an initial formula for your business. It is figured
this way, as you have to 'pay' for all of it.

1) Salary - 35 percent
2) Benefits - 30 percent
3) Expenses - 35 percent
Total = 100 percent

Thus, for each hour worked:

Salary at $35.00 hour
Benefits at $30.00 hour
Expenses at $35.00 hour

Equals billing rate of $100 per hour

I know that some of the companies that had me on a government contract were
charging upwards of $130.00 per hour.

When I worked at a company in the late 70's, I was 'burdened' at 210 percent
of my 'salary plus benefits'.

You determine your rate of income.

Herman Holtz, a consultant in Maryland has written a number of books on how
to figure your rate of 'compensation' as a consultant/contractor.
His books will also refer you to other books that address rate setting.

Been there, done that, still have the scars to show for it.

BTW, I have been 1099, invoice, W2 with bennies, and W2 without bennies.
Learned some of the lessons once, had to learn others twice.

Hope this helps.
I still have some books that also deal with this subject matter.

Sincerely,

Harry

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com