Re: Fwd: Acceptance of Mediocre Documentation

Subject: Re: Fwd: Acceptance of Mediocre Documentation
From: "Damien Braniff" <Damien -dot- Braniff -at- asg -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 08:38:33 +0100

Sometimes the reason is that 'excellent' isn't required, 'good enough'
will do and this is often a cost choice. We can spend $ for excellent
docs or less for usable docs - if the user doesn't
mind/complain/whatever the cheaper option wins. If you've time on your
hands this doesn't seem to be the case.

It could be, as Bruce said, simply that they don't care - there ARE docs
and that's enough for them.

If you've time on your hands and you're documenting product X then I'd
agree with Michele - if the time's there just do it. You're the
professional and being paid to write the docs and they should be happy
as long as they're ready on time. If they're that much better then
customers will notice, they'll (hopefully) get positive feedback
(especially if they weren't great before) and that may go some way to
changing attitudes.

Otherwise, I'd go back to consulting. As Bruce said, they tend to listen
more to a highly paid consultant.

Damien Braniff | Technical Writer
damienb -at- asg -dot- com
Technical Communications