Re: Identifying chapters

Subject: Re: Identifying chapters
From: Patrick Wright <pdoubleya -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 13:18:38 +0200

Bill

> If you have to explain the structure of your cross-references to your
> readers, they're probably more complex than they need to be.

Sure, but I think the original reasoning is sound. The document is for
software product release notes; this product is updated frequently,
and often has complex configuration changes between releases. The
first part of the document describes what features are available, and
is intended for all readers. For new features which are related to
configuration changes, there is a reference to the section on changes
to configuration. The normal users thus know they can't use this new
feature without some administrative help, the administrators
understand what features are being configured, etc. It sounds more
complex than it is in practice.

The oddity here is that the release notes can actually be quite short,
so don't justify chapter or chapter-section headings. This means the
cross-referencing is non-standard, in my view, but something has to be
done.

Regards
Patrick

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com