Re: Fwd: Acceptance of Mediocre Documentation

Subject: Re: Fwd: Acceptance of Mediocre Documentation
From: Bill Swallow <techcommdood -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 15:54:02 -0400

> I suggest you take up drinking as quickly as possible. You are very
> obviously too smart to be sober all day at this job. Or, I could send
> you my 14 year old son, who I have nick-named "Fluffy." You'll be worn
> out and happy that your boss is allowing things to move slowly.

Did you forget the ";-)"?

> I can say, been there, done that and I've never been captive, ever. I've
> always consulted. I get praised all the time. I like it. I love writer's
> that tell me, "Oh, I don't know Word like you, and this whole
> Styles-thing, why don't you do the template, I don't have time to
> l-e-a-r-n about Styles." [sigh]

Again, no ";-)"? I am not praise-driven, and I loathe the "you do it;
you're the expert" comments. I'm not an expert. I just learned what I
needed to learn in order to do my job efficiently and in the correct
manner.

> There are only a few of us at the top, be glad you're one of those few.
> The husband and I went to a pub with my girlfriend who is a writer, and
> some men from her new gig. The man sitting next to me was a trainer. He
> told me in conversation that I better start being more tolerant of
> mediocrity b/c over half of the worlds population has an IQ under 100.

Well, he's right about the numbers, but partially wrong about the
approach he's taken. Tolerant? Sure. Proactively nurturing? Better. As
for the top, I haven't looked up to survey where I am. Some say I'm
there. I don't really care.

> My motto is, don't ask, don't pontificate, just do. Be seen surfing the
> web, and when asked, tell them you have nothing to do. You'll get some
> work load fast. Or go back to consulting.

Where's the warning label for that advice? ;-)

I mostly do, but I also inform. And if seen surfing the web and you
tell them you have nothing to do, I'd expect more work to be a
minority in the choices of responses to that comment. ;-)

In that case, I would expect (and I would dole out) more work
accomanied by a very critical eye on your work habits.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com