RE: Help with a Technical Writing career

Subject: RE: Help with a Technical Writing career
From: "James Jones" <doc-x -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 10:29:48 -0500

That you are a former commercial pilot says many things to me about
where your knowledge areas are. That you now work in the computer help
desk field tells me that you know something about the problems that
people have with computers.
There are many technical writing and technical communication programs
out there. Try searching the Web for 'technical communication'. Also,
the Web site of the Society for Technical Communication (www.stc.org)
has some useful info for someone who wants to go into the field. They
used to have a downloadable brochure called 'So You Want to be a
Technical Writer'. Altho you are 49, you can still use a lot of the info
that has been prepared for people in their 20s.
Courses. You could take 1, 2, many, or you could enroll in a
certificate program somewhere. Many community colleges have courses and
certification programs in the field. Online courses. You could also take
one or many courses or enroll in some certificate program.

Jim Jones http://www.tinyurl.com/4arjc