Re: Outsourcing of Technical Writers Employment

Subject: Re: Outsourcing of Technical Writers Employment
From: Lou Quillio <public -at- quillio -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 30 May 2005 19:53:40 -0400

Raymond Ambrosini wrote:

With the onslaught of jobs heading overseas I was wondering what others on the list think about the possibility or probability of their jobs being outsourced?
This is something for me to consider before entering the field and any help would be appreciated.

Now, now. Many subscribers to this list are the beneficiaries and vessels of such outsourcing. I learned as much awhile back, when many South Asian techcomms contacted me personally in the wake of an ill-advised post. Know what they said? "We're just like you." And they *are*, and I gladly call them colleagues. Wonderful, eye-opening experience.

Wanna hear something crazy? I say about twenty of us Western techcomms relocate to a nice, civilized spot somewhere in Australasia with reliable broadband and satellite backup, work hard, join the local community, and remotely take a big 'ol chunk of the global English-language techcomm business while living surprisingly well.

I'm not kidding. And I'm not talking about spite, just smarts. My people came to North America from elsewhere. Were they alive, they'd see nothing strange in purposeful migration.

Think about it.

LQ

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com