RE: Documenting wizards that have numbered "steps"

Subject: RE: Documenting wizards that have numbered "steps"
From: "Kathleen" <keamac -at- cox -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2005 10:00:42 -0700

I'd use a similar approach, with two exceptions:

I'd break the overall procedures you've outlined into chunks--subsection
1 would be Steps 1-3, subsection 2 would be Step 4 (wizard), subsections
3-n would probably be steps after the end of the wizard and depend on
the number of other steps and their complexity.

When I introduced the instructions in subsection 2 ("Using the Wizard"),
I'd explain that the written instructions include additional
information, so people should read the instructions before starting the
wizard. In situations when the additional information is critical to
correct operations, I've placed the note about the additional steps in
several places (e.g., beginning of chapter, section, manual) just
because you never know exactly what people will read.

I've run into these situations before, when programmers collapsed
information, or procedures changed but the GUI didn't, so you need to
help the user deal with it.

Kathleen