Re: Where did you get your feet wet?

Subject: Re: Where did you get your feet wet?
From: "Damien Braniff" <Damien -dot- Braniff -at- asg -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2005 10:34:18 +0100

Here in the UK there were, until fairly recently, no university courses
in TW and most TWers were engineers/programmers who could write. 20+
years ago I was a bit of an oddity as I went into writing directly from
university. Well, not quite directly - I spent almost a year being
under/over qualified for assorted jobs before applying to be a TWer.
Interview went OK (as far as I could tell) and they said they'd let me
know in about a week. 4+ weeks later I'd heard nothing and, ever so
slightly P***ed off, I wrote them a very sarcastic letter thanking them
for letting me know (I was young then!). They called next day to say I
was on a shortlist. Eventually got the job - turned out it was
government work and everyone needed clearance and, especially coming
form N Ireland, that took a little time :-)

20+ years later and I'm still writing. And, as was said in a previous
thread, clearance is useful - kept me in work for nearly 10 years doing
a variety of jobs.
Since then I've done an MA - looks good on applications, may tip the
balance where experience is similar and it was good to know I'd been
doing it right for all these year :-)

Damien

Damien Braniff | Technical Writer
damienb -at- asg -dot- com
Technical Communications
ASG | asg.com
Waterfront Plaza
8, Lagan Bank Road,
Belfast, N. Ireland BT1 3LR
Tel: +44 (0) 28.9072.3124
Fax: +44 (0) 28.9072.3324
End-to-End Technology Management

New from Quadralay Corporation: WebWorks ePublisher Pro! Easily create
14 online formats, including 6 Help systems, in a project-based
workflow. Live, online demo! http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com