Re: Tech Writing Internships

Subject: Re: Tech Writing Internships
From: "Mike O." <obie1121 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2005 05:55:46 -0700 (PDT)

Dick Margulis wrote:
> I find that people who are growing up now in the
> same type of environment I grew up in and with the
> same kinds of opportunities I had are blank in more
> ways than one. Anyone else notice that?

Actually, yes and no. I think you are witnessing a cultural divide
taking place and expanding.

I often work with smaller startup comapnies and they tend to be stocked
full of young people who are very smart and well-rounded, and will
learn whatever they need to learn to get the job done. They don't need
training classes either, because they have mastered the methods and
habits of learning. When I was entry-level I didn't enter the workforce
thinking that way, but I met so many people like that I decided to try
to follow their model.

On the other hand, there are lots of folks in larger companies who
aren't so interested in learning, who think the status quo of their
skills should and will carry them through their careers.

There have always been go-getters as well as complacent folks in the
workplace. To generalize, I'd say the smaller, more innovative
companies tend to attract the more motivated people. If you spend your
life in corporate pubs departments, you might never meet those people.
(OK, I know there are exceptions).

Mike O.

http://mail.yahoo.com

New from Quadralay Corporation: WebWorks ePublisher Pro! Easily create
14 online formats, including 6 Help systems, in a project-based
workflow. Live, online demo! http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com