Spinoff of: Where did you get your feet wet

Subject: Spinoff of: Where did you get your feet wet
From: "Tom Johnson" <tjohnson -at- freeway -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2005 13:27:57 -0400

Anthony,

What drew you to TECHNICAL writing? I find it puzzling you seem to be
avoiding technical classes. I would like to encourage you to find a
technical subject that interests you and practice writing about that.
Until you've had a chance to write about something technical, you're
not a technical writer. Writing lab reports (chemistry) might be a
good start. You could pick a hobby and write about that. Once you've
learned how to play the game, you'll find it easier to branch out into
other fields. I suggest you get going on it this summer.

As for me, most of my technical training is in life sciences and I'm
far removed from that field (not on purpose though).

Tom

Anthony wrote:

I am a senior studying tech writing in New York, and
my program is a spinoff of the liberal arts program at
the school. The only scientific course I really have
to take is chemistry. I've avoided the required C++
course.

I've taken mostly writng courses, and a few graphic
design courses, a usability course and others from the
required courses list. If I'm looking for a career in
TWing, am I at a disadvantage if I don't have a
footing in science/engineering/technology?

Thanks,
Anthony Hernandez

New from Quadralay Corporation: WebWorks ePublisher Pro! Easily create
14 online formats, including 6 Help systems, in a project-based
workflow. Live, online demo! http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com