Re: Oracle Help or Java Help -- how to choose?

Subject: Re: Oracle Help or Java Help -- how to choose?
From: Bill Lawrence <lawrence -at- mayaviz -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2005 08:17:40 -0400

At a previous job, we had to face the same decision. We tested the stability and scalability of both JavaHelp and Oracle Help on various UNIX platforms and Windows, and we found significant problems with JavaHelp. Aside from a number of bugs, JavaHelp doesn't scale well at all. If you're planning on shipping a significant amount of documentation in this format, forget it.

Oracle Help has been in production as the standard help system for that particular company for about three years, with over 5,000 customer sites, and has been problem free. The full-text search is actually both better and faster than the search engine in Microsoft HTML Help. Another plus for Oracle Help is that ships with the ICE browser, is a very capable Java-based browser. Also, Oracle continues forward development on Oracle Help and it continues to improve.

Cheers,

Bill Lawrence

New from Quadralay Corporation: WebWorks ePublisher Pro! Easily create 14 online formats, including 6 Help systems, in a project-based workflow. Live, online demo! http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com