RE: Are you familiar with Laszlo?

Subject: RE: Are you familiar with Laszlo?
From: "Matt Horn" <mhorn -at- macromedia -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2005 09:37:17 -0400

> Laszlo is also attempting to launch a new buzzword: "rich
> Internet application (RIA)."

Derivation note: The use of RIA has been traced to Jeremy Allaire in a
white paper in 2002. As you might know, the company Allaire founded was
bought by Macromedia the year before. The term has since been used in
the WSJ and other publications of record. We use it a lot in our
architecture documents.

>I wonder if their
> open-sourcing of Laszlo was an effort to get ahead of these
> announcements of similar tools from Macromedia

Both the Laszlo Presentation Server as an open-source app server and
Macromedia Flex/FlexBuilder (the "similar tools") have been around for
more than a year.

Matthew Horn
Sr. Technical Writer
< m a c r o m e d i a >

New from Quadralay Corporation: WebWorks ePublisher Pro! Easily create
14 online formats, including 6 Help systems, in a project-based
workflow. Live, online demo! http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com