Re: Apple's move to Intel?

Subject: Re: Apple's move to Intel?
From: David Neeley <dbneeley -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2005 10:51:25 -0500

The multi-boot utility is already in use, and should take relatively
minor adjustments (if any) to run on the Apple hardware. It's called
GRUB ("grand unified bootloader") and is the present standard utility
used by most Linux systems. http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/

Emulation today is far different than in past times, and some of the
newer techniques are far faster than you might think. In addition, the
current state of the art allows running multiple operating systems on
virtual machines. Perhaps the most mature is VMWare, but a rapidly
growing method is through what is called a "hypervisor" such as Xen.
With these, multiple operating system instances can be run
simultaneously.

Apple has stated that they will prohibit their OS running on non-Apple
hardware. To me, this indicates some hardware differentiation on the
motherboard. We'll see how long it takes the enterprising to overcome
this limitation.

David

> My prediction: Now that Tiger
> (OS X 10.4) already runs on Intel chips, you'll see a simple dual-boot
> utility released no more than 6 months after the release of the Intel
> Macs that lets you boot into either the Mac or Windows environment. For
> that matter, expect a Linux boot option too!

New from Quadralay Corporation: WebWorks ePublisher Pro! Easily create
14 online formats, including 6 Help systems, in a project-based
workflow. Live, online demo! http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com