RE: Where did you get your feet wet

Subject: RE: Where did you get your feet wet
From: "Crimmin, Peter" <Peter -dot- Crimmin -at- scansoft -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2005 10:32:52 -0400

I entered the tech writing field via a circuitous route starting with
superhero work in the 1950s. As Spiderman, I conceived the world wide web.
Then, as Superman, I polished writing skills at The Daily Planet. My typing
speed is 144 wpm on a Royal typewriter, 322 on IBM Selectric, and over 900
on computer keyboards (modified with heavy-duty springs).

Tired of saving the world from itself, and disillusioned with the Viet Nam
war, I became God Man [c.f. Tom Tomorrow] where I began whispering ideas
into the ears of influential scientists as they slept. Semi-conductors,
fleece jackets, and flat-screen displays are some of the successes of this
experiment. Admittedly, nuclear power and SUVs weren't my best efforts, and
the jury is still out on the speech recognition idea.

It was about this time that the IRS started poking around and asking
questions about the Malibu beach house, the sailboat, the ranch in Wyoming,
and the Ice Palace in the north pole (which I hardly use these days). In
need of cover, I took jobs with startup software companies, and hey, it
turns out this tech writing gig is lots of fun. Nowadays, I write user
guides, migration guides, and reference manuals. By night, I dabble with
solutions to global warming.

PeterC

New from Quadralay Corporation: WebWorks ePublisher Pro! Easily create
14 online formats, including 6 Help systems, in a project-based
workflow. Live, online demo! http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com