Re: Telecommuting Advice?

Subject: Re: Telecommuting Advice?
From: hls_ut -at- comcast -dot- net
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 21:15:01 +0000

I telecommuted exclusively for about 6 years. Worked out great for me.

Now that I'm back to a daily commute, I really miss the time I've lost to the drive, not to mention actually getting presentable--it takes a while ;-) I've also had to spend a chunk on wardrobe, and there's lunch out every day instead of leftovers from the decent meals I no longer have the energy to cook.

Personality-wise, I'm a pretty good fit for spending the day alone... in fact it's almost the same here at the office! I never had a problem meeting commitments or scheduling my work, or focusing when it was necessary. I don't have any particular advice there. I worked long and hard when it was necessary, and when it wasn't I didn't worry about pretending to be busy.

To keep from going nuts, I had 2 dogs to keep me company. Yes, I talked to them.

I walked a few times a week with a neighbor during the day, schedule permitting. I cultivated friends for skiing, riding bikes, etc. and did as much as I could during the week, again, schedule permitting. And with that extra 2 or 3 hours of real life you get back, it's a lot easier to work that fun stuff into your schedule!

I was always able to keep in touch with colleagues by e-mail or phone. In fact one team had daily phone conferences to kick off each day. That got me into the "office" at a set time every day. As much freedom as I had, I also followed a reliable schedule.

Also, I have a "real" office. My husband went nuts at Staples and filled half a large guest bedroom with a very professional office suite. Since it felt different from the rest of the house, it really felt like going to work.

I really miss it... sigh

HTH

------------------hls_ut -at- comcast -dot- net

New from Quadralay Corporation: WebWorks ePublisher Pro! Easily create
14 online formats, including 6 Help systems, in a project-based
workflow. Live, online demo! http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com