Re: Service Pack 896358

Subject: Re: Service Pack 896358
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 11:28:26 -0700 (PDT)

--- Gene Kim-Eng <techwr -at- genek -dot- com> wrote:

> Yes, that would make it safe. It would not, however, make it
> usable when the network is down or the user has unplugged the
> computer from the network and is trying to use the software on
> the go (portable computers now represent more than 50% of new
> computers sold, and it's an even higher percentage when you
> throw in the PDAs).

True

However, I need to evaluate the benefit of the result vs the
downside. At what point do you stop saying "Yeah, but what if.."?

For instance...tbrough my documentation, the developer has access
through hyperlinks to several tens of thousands of pages of
DB-NET-DLL-ASP-StoredProc dictionaries and API documentation via
20-and-growing different CHMs that are updated monthly. For example,
a database tanle is mentioned in the doc? Click on it and have
immediate access to the data dictionary page for THAT table.

Since we are documenting a portal and to do anything they need access
to VSS through the network anyway, I'd say it is a small price to pay
to require network access for supporting material.

Everything is a tradeoff between benefits.

John Posada
Senior Technical Writer

?Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone
amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built
the Titanic.? - Dave Barry

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com