RE: How To: Tactfully deal with salary questions in TW job interviews?

Subject: RE: How To: Tactfully deal with salary questions in TW job interviews?
From: "Joe Malin" <jmalin -at- tuvox -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 12:19:36 -0700

Good question! All I know is that they ask because they want to
eliminate candidates who aren't in the ballpark of what they want to
spend. I don't know anything about contracting, though.

For salary history questions, I don't answer with "history". Instead, I
say what I expect to earn. If they press me on "history," I look
somewhere else. IMHO, it's no use getting involved with a company that
doesn't know how to treat its employees.

In my last interview cycle, I first looked closely at STC's nationwide
salary survey. That helped me set a high-ball figure for my offer to the
company. They, of course, came back with a smaller number, but I
expected that. My thinking was that when you're selling something, put
the price artificially high and then settle for what you really wanted
to begin with.

Also, the figure depends on which way you're headed. I was coming from a
weird salary situation, so I knew I'd be earning less than in my
previous job. If you're just starting out, go low and plan to increase
your pay later. If you're going from a entry-level to "senior" position,
demand more. And so forth.

Joe Malin
Technical Writer
(408)625-1623
jmalin -at- tuvox -dot- com
www.tuvox.com
The views expressed in this document are those of the sender, and do not
necessarily reflect those of TuVox, Inc.