Re: general topic of spelling

Subject: Re: general topic of spelling
From: "Taterwriter" <taterwriter -at- sbcglobal -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 01:58:51 -0500

I'm going to bypass the specific points in this to make an observation from personal experience. My father used toys to teach me letters starting in infancy. I played with plastic letters while he bathed me, and I used to hold them up and he'd tell me what they were. He got tired of this, and started holding them up and asking me what they were. By the time I was three, I was able to read the comic strips, and soon afterward the rest of the newspaper as well (though I didn't, of course, understand most of it. This was pre-Sesame Street.

The point of all this babbling is that I actually learned a majority of my vocabulary from print, starting some three and a half years before first grade. Having learned my words visually, I've never had any problem spelling, as do those who learned their basic word-hoard via speech. My problem went the other way: there were words I knew, and could write and understand, but couldn't pronounce.

So my personal experience with technical writing as been "Dictionary? I don't need no steenking dictionary". I'd be interested in hearing from others who were early readers Thanks to an accident, I suffer from nerve damage in my left arm so my typing isn't what it was. When I spot one of my typos, which are more and more frequent as time goes on, I feel embarrassed because I know I'm making mistakes I shouldn't.

Philip Taterczynski

"Stupid people can't spell. Intelligent people make typographical errors"

----- Original Message ----- From: "Dick Margulis" <margulisd -at- comcast -dot- net>