Re: general topic of spelling

Subject: Re: general topic of spelling
From: Peter Neilson <neilson -at- alltel -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 21:30:45 -0400

Bruce Byfield wrote:

Is it just me, or is anyone else disturbed by the renewed interest in
spelling bees for kids? ...

Instead of a straight spelling bee, I would prefer to see a vocabulary
quiz -- or, better yet, writing or speech-making competitions. It seems
to me that any of these activities would do more to encourage literacy
than a spelling bee.

IIRC, our school's spelling bees required the definition as
well as the correct spelling. But this was way back in the
Dark Ages, before we had soft drink machines in the schools.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com