Re: How much knowledge to advertise and how to advertise it?

Subject: Re: How much knowledge to advertise and how to advertise it?
From: Bill Swallow <techcommdood -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 23:46:51 -0400

> I am wondering how much knolwedge (novice? intermediate user?) is
> necessary before I can claim I know enough about it for technical
> documentation purposes.
>
> And how do I phrase it? Just add the software package names to my
> resume, or do I put in qualifiers?

It really depends on what you want to tell your audience, and what you
intend to do and are expected to do with the technologies on the job.
This is why I highly recommend custom-tailored resumes along with
custom cover letters.

In general, I list all popular technologies, and then specifically
other technologies requested in the job ad, in a matrix on my resume,
ranking my skills in them as follows:

Expert - I can essentially use these technologies with my eyes closed
and can troubleshoot problems voiced by others without needing to
actually use the software in doing so.

Advanced - I'm smarter than the average bear with regard to these technologies.

Skilled - I can use these technologies.

Novice - I have some knowledge and/or experience in these technologies.

--
Bill Swallow
42.8162,-73.7736

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com