Re: New TECHWR-L Poll - ADD

Subject: Re: New TECHWR-L Poll - ADD
From: "Tom Johnson" <tjohnson -at- freeway -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2005 13:52:39 -0400

Gene wrote:
Offhand, I can't think of any career field in which an inability to pay
attention to what needs to be done when it needs to be done could
possibly be an "advantage."
<snip>

And I write:
Many moons ago, I considered being a fire lookout. That was when the
forest service hired people to sit up in tall towers to watch for
forest fires. I think most of it is done by satellite now. Would you
believe they were looking for people with short attention spans? Those
people would constantly be on the lookout for anything exciting
happening in the forest around them. They would look for anything to
relieve the monotony of being alone in a tower above the treetops and
would spot smoke very quickly. I almost went for it, but I figured I'd
be bored stiff. Maybe I'd have been a good candidate. Looking back,
maybe I should've tried it. No, probably not. Maybe I should buy a
decommissioned tower and turn it into an office. What a view!

As for technical writing, people with ADD sometimes have insights the
rest of us non-ADD types might not ever get. Our brains are wired
differently and I have to believe if people who are endowed with ADD
are able to match their gifts with the right career, there's no end to
the marvels they may come up with. Have you ever read much about a guy
named Thomas Edison? I don't know that he was ADD per se, but he sure
had trouble paying attention in a classroom.

People with ADD aren't inferior (Gene didn't say they were). They just
need to work a little harder to focus their career aspirations, but I
believe it can work in their favor.

--
Tom Johnson
tjohnson -at- starcutter -dot- com