Why is it so hard to find the RoboHelp Asian Edition?

Subject: Why is it so hard to find the RoboHelp Asian Edition?
From: "Daniel Ng" <kjng -at- gprotechnologies -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 11:46:17 +0800

We use and distribute our English manuals in Compiled HTML Help. We are
currently looking at localizing it for Chinese HTML Help.

Why is it so hard to find the RoboHelp Asian Edition, mentioned so
often. Rather, the Asian Edition is always for the older versions of
RoboHelp.

I have been wondering why is it that with this relatively important
product feature (supporting double byte characters),for an industry
leading product, I have to hear about and source it from various small
suppliers on the Internet and not Macromedia or E-HELP.

Just a question, how are Chinese user manuals distrbuted, and compiled
when the original source is in English. For localizers, do they use
native Microsoft HTML Help compilers and Notepad all the way to do
localization. Do people abandon RoboHelp for Chinese, and distribute
everything in PDF?

RoboHelp is a good and solid tool nonetheless so far for my use at
least, in English. It would be sad if I had to switch horses midway
because we don't want 2 different HATTs for the same but localized
manuals.

Daniel Ng
Lead Trainer & Technical Writer

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com