RE: TOOLS: more ergo stuff LCD Monitor Arms

Subject: RE: TOOLS: more ergo stuff LCD Monitor Arms
From: mlist -at- safenet-inc -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 11:46:36 -0400

David Neeley offered:

> Dave,
>
> Generally, the top of your monitor should be no higher than the level
> of your eyes. Viewing from eye level to about 15 degrees down is
> generally the most ergonomic arrangement. Too many people I have seen
> try to put the monitor too high.
>
> If you wear glasses, consider getting a pair specifically prescribed
> for computer use. These have a fixed focus at the appropriate distance
> from eye to monitor.

I agree with the positioning (height-wise), but I disagree
with the solution for visibility. Glasses with fixed focus
just move the problem.
Sure, it's not so bad to be sitting relatively upright, rather
than leaning forward, squinting, to see the monitor, but that
fixed focus still forces you to hold your head in a fairly narrow
vertical plane, which in turn keeps your body immobile. What
you want (and what sitting on a ball solves) is to move around
as much as possible while seated and working.

I think that Dave's (OP) solution is better because he can sit
in whatever position is comfortable at the moment and easily
move the monitor. That's one of the biggest, most freeing
advantages of LCDs over 85-pound CRT monitors. They're light
enough for easy re-positioning. Some monitor arms incluce
a handle for just that purpose... so you don't have to lean
forward to grasp the monitor.

I don't have a monitor arm, but I'm learning to just reach out
and reposition my lightweight LCD on my desk at home, when I
want to sit more forward or back, rather than leaning in (or out)
to match how my eyes want to focus. That also encourages me to
clear at least part of my desk. ahem...

At work, we've still got the massive old CRTs that don't
respond to a gentle tug. Maybe when we move to the new
building. . . (what's the smiley for wishful thinking?)

Having a decent LCD at home and CRTs still at work, I've
found that my eyes do not tire so much (nor so quickly),
and don't get all scratchy and dry-feeling when I'm staring
at a reasonably-well-adjusted LCD monitor for hours, while
I need more frequent relief (and longer periods of it) when
face-to-screen with the CRTs.

I have not yet found a good copy stand, but fortunately I get
most of my review material as marked-up electronic versions,
so it's in the same visual plane as the documents that I'm
fixing -- thank gawd for dual-monitor setup. :-)

Kevin (whom necessity and age are turning into an ergo fool)

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com