Re: Using Punctuation w/GUI Labels

Subject: Re: Using Punctuation w/GUI Labels
From: Dick Margulis <margulisd -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 16:31:03 -0400

Ashaki K. Hamlett wrote:

Hello all,
Many of our GUI labels contain punctuation. For example, browse... or input
file:

When incorporating punctuation from the GUI labels in the procedures, the
procedures become confusing. For example:
Select the browse..., input file:, and component check boxes.

I have always been an advocate making sure the documentation reflects the
GUI. However, in my opinion, omitting the GUI label punctuation will not
hinder the user from selecting or clicking the correct option.
How do others handle documenting GUI labels that contain punctuation?

See Microsoft Manual of Style. Omit the punctuation when naming the
labels in text. The Browse button. The Input File field.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com