Training Documentation

Subject: Training Documentation
From: "Karen West" <klw -at- cyberscience -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 17:39:03 +0100

I work for a software company and currently the training documentation,
which is used by our training department, is written by the training
consultants in Word and is not managed/written by the Documentation
department, which largely consists of just me. I produce all my
documentation (release notes, manuals etc.) using Frame. I have been asked
to look at some of the training documentation (by my new manager), which has
recently been updated and is being used in a couple of weeks for a course
designed specifically for a large client.

My initial reaction is that it is largely okay grammatically, and the layout
is fine although the fonts are too large. However, I am not convinced that
it should come under my jurisdiction. It seems to me that it will be double
the work when it needs to be updated in future as the consultants will
update it in Word and then I will have to do it in Frame. How is your
training documentation managed? Thoughts, and opinions please. Thank you.

Karen West
Technical Writer
Cyberscience Corporation (UK)
http://www.cyberscience.com