RE: symbolize roles

Subject: RE: symbolize roles
From: "Jason Willebeek-LeMair \(jlemair\)" <jlemair -at- cisco -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 10:32:04 -0400

Katherine asked:

I can understand why you want to do this (it's easier), but why is this
better for your users?

Jason replies:

I think the approach he is proposing might be better for the user. I
have used products with various levels of login privileges. And
sometimes, I must admit, I forget which level I am logged in at. When
there is a command, or screen, that I just know is there because I used
it yesterday and why oh why can't I see it today I think I am going to
scream, I like to be able to look it up, find it in the help, and say
"oh, I need to be logged in as admin--apparently I am not." Or, "I know
the system has to be able to do xyz, oh, you need operator privileges, I
better find an operator to do it for me before the system goes
kablooey."

On the other hand, they might not want the users with a monitor role to
know about the anti-kablooey command or screen, so it would make sense
to hide it. Although I would assume, from his consideration of throwing
all the commands together, that this is not an issue.

That said, symbols in the heading would be nice. An alternative would
be text (either after the head or just below:

anti-kablooey (admin, operator)

or

anti-kablooey
Role: Operator, Admin