Re: APIs?

Subject: Re: APIs?
From: Bill Swallow <techcommdood -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2005 11:52:08 -0400

> 1. Does one generally incorporate the APIs themselves into a developer's guide? I can do this only with the 3 docs I have right now; if I have to go in and EXTRACT the information from the 8 APIs in our Service Pack, it will take, well, months. Also, that would make a very long book.

Well, is there a value to that? Are these large APIs or small ones? I
am documenting a 11,000+ member API at the moment, so there's no way
it's going to be printed (that'd be 11,000 descriptor topics alone,
and then add in all the why/how/when and other non-reference info).

> 2. If it is not usual to incorporate the APIs in the developer guide, what DO you put in a developer guide? Do you refer the reader to the (separate) APIs? How would you refer them to a Doxygen suite of HTML pages?

Well, that depends. How do you deliver the HTML? How is it used? How
should it be used? How is it deployed?

Have you looked at other SDKs to see how other companies are
distributing documentation for their APIs?

--
Bill Swallow
42.8162,-73.7736

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com