Re: Flow-charting question

Subject: Re: Flow-charting question
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2005 09:29:17 -0700 (PDT)

> Let's say you are documenting a procedure. A device will ask two,
> three or five questions, depending on how you answer some of the
> questions.

Kevin...I can only take a guess at what you are asking, but if my
guess is correct, here's how I've addressed what I think you are
asking.

Regardless of how the decisions go, they start from a common point
(XX). That goes at the top left.

Now, from there, string as many decision diamonds (AAA through DDD)
across in a row as there are possible paths (I hope the following
doesn't wrap and stays inline. if it doesn't, copy into something and
view with fixed width font).

XXX

AAA-N->BBB-N->CCC-N->DDD-N---|
| | | | |
Y Y Y Y |
| | | | |
stuff stuff stuff stuff stuff

Each diamond goes something like the following:

[Is this the right condition]? where you describe the condition in
the diamond.
- If yes, start down
- If no, go across to the next diamond
Below each diamond, you describe the logic for that condition.

By the time you've exhausted diamonds across, you've exhausted
possible routes. Note that the last option is not a decision because
you've exhausted your options and it HAS to be Yes

Now, if you don't want all of the paths on the same page, on the
first page, you have the diamonds across. However, below each
diamond, you have a single element (in place of STUFF) and each of
these elements is hot-spotted to another help page where you go
through the full detail of that route

John Posada
Senior Technical Writer

?Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone
amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built
the Titanic.? - Dave Barry

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com