RE: What about a B.A./B.S. in Technical Communications?

Subject: RE: What about a B.A./B.S. in Technical Communications?
From: "Kathleen" <keamac -at- cox -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2005 10:39:42 -0700

Jennifer,

I think the BS might provide you better credentials for a wider range of
job openings, if it is technical and the program is good. Although
there's a huge range of topics/fields included in "technical writing,"
you're always going to have a better chance for employment if you have
some basic understanding of technical areas such as programming,
finance, web, networking, business, etc. So if you already have an
interest in or training in one of those areas, you might be ok doing a
BA; otherwise I'd look into the more technical degree.

But I also think it's important to think about the areas that you're
interested in or have strengths in, aside from writing. You'll be a much
stronger candidate if you have some knowledge of an area on your own,
and of course you'll find it more personally rewarding.

My .02

Kathleen