RE: Oh so many wikis

Subject: RE: Oh so many wikis
From: "Joe Malin" <jmalin -at- tuvox -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 11:22:08 -0700

Dear Brian,

You're trying to get feedback on your documentation from customers or
from internal reviewers? If you want feedback from customes, then I
would recommend a separate initiative to encourage customers to contact
you. I heard a speaker from Cisco's documentation department outline
their strategy, which I thought was excellent.

If you want feedback from internal reviewers, then given the
documentation's current form, I suggest having them review PDFs using
Acrobat 7.x features. The reviewing features are "free" once you have
Acrobat Pro to create PDFs.

If you're set on wikis, then I'm sure most wikis allow you to create a
page in HTML. Unfortunately, that means you have to edit it in HTML as
well. You may be able to write a script that converts HTML to "Wiki
language".

I think the PDF route is the most cost-effective. Even if you don't
currently have Acrobat, your company would spend much less by buying it
than by having its writers and engineers spend hours searching for and
customizing an open-source solution.

My motto is "There is no such thing as a free lunch!" You do have to
prove this from time to time, by comparing the cost of people's time to
the cost of software. An important corollary, though, is "some lunches
are not worth their cost." For example, Microsoft software (IMHO) is
often overpriced and "under-functioned."

Joe

Joe Malin
Technical Writer
(408)625-1623
jmalin -at- tuvox -dot- com
www.tuvox.com
The views expressed in this document are those of the sender, and do not
necessarily reflect those of TuVox, Inc.