Re: Certification--a new concept. Discuss

Subject: Re: Certification--a new concept. Discuss
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 10:03:01 -0700 (PDT)

> > It depends on the company and how much they back the concept.
> Don't
> > companies pay 3-4k (cost plus expenses) to send some employess on
> > weekly training trips
>
> Not consistently, and usually it's within context of project work.
> Given the latter, how would a TW certification be tied back to
> project work?

I don't have THE answer.

Some companies send employees to STC, to help conferences, to WinUSA,
etc.. I've been sent to Learning Tree courses to learn general
technologies not directed toward what I was doing at that time, but
to keep up with the progression in the field.

It may be up to the person to convince their management why it is in
their best interest.

Maybe the person simply has to eat the cost.

> > Sure..why not? Is one week of vacation, one time, so precious
> > that it cannot be dedicated to self improvement?
>
> Within the context of family, and the context of the stereotypical
> 2 weeks/year in the US, yes, it is precious.

I think in reality, it isn't that hard to justify it. I don't want to
be married to the woman or husband who say "Absolutely not...you
cannot further your profession and possibly earn a better living and
make your employment more secure. I insist you take us to Disneyworld
instead."

Do you?

> > remember...the whole process SHOULD be tough....isn't anything
> > elite usualy that way?
>
> Should be reasonably tough. But demands of absorbing vacation time
> to solve another company's problems seems over the top to me.

It isn't to solve a company problem. It is to solve YOUR (generaly
speaking) problem..how to make yourself more indemand in your field.
You aren't doing this whole process for anyone else except yourself.

John Posada
Senior Technical Writer

?I can win an argument on any topic,
against any opponent. People know this,
and steer clear of me at parties.
Often, as a sign of their great respect,
they don't even invite me."
Dave Barry

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com