Re: Certification--a new concept. Discuss

Subject: Re: Certification--a new concept. Discuss
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 07:31:21 -0700

I suppose it depends on where you're doing your writing, but in the
industries I've written and managed for (aerospace, semiconductor
design and manufacturing, biotech and medical instrumentation), technical writers *are* in "the same major category" as engineers; same position grades, same salary ranges, same education and experience requirements. All of my writers have the necessary
qualifications to be able to transition to product design or testing
if they wanted to; many of them transitioned to writing *from* those
branches of product development. I do understand that there are some environments where someone with an English or Journalism degree and no technical experience can be hired as a technical writer and be reasonably successful. Ours is not one of them. We have a
number of criteria we use to screen prospective candidates, foremost
among them the education and experience requirements I mentioned
above. At present, they don't include any offically-issued credential
that is technical writing specific.

Gene Kim-Eng

----- Original Message ----- From: "Bonnie Granat" <bgranat -at- granatedit -dot- com>

I do think that the term "profession" has been used rather with an intent to
locate technical writers in the same major category as physicians,
engineers, lawyers, and other professions so as to have a little "lustre" of
the professions rub off on technical writers. It's that usage alone to
which I would object.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com