Re: techwr-l digest: July 28, 2005 - SourceSafe

Subject: Re: techwr-l digest: July 28, 2005 - SourceSafe
From: wsfn <WSFN -at- rocketmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 06:07:26 -0700 (PDT)

Morning all;

Just wanted to add a comment or two on MS Visual
SourceSafe. Regarding David's comments below,
not sure why he was so dissatisfied, but I have
found SourceSafe to be a highly effective for
versioning, roll back, and not stepping on other
writer's work.

It is NOT a CMS. But you can run compares
between files in your versioning and be assured
you can retrieve things from past versions way
back in history.

I've found it to be highly effective when working
with writers AND the SMEs with the same access
levels to the files. The SMEs don't always write
well as we all know!

Perhaps the admin was not set up well...

Anyway, the tool can work for versioning and
group work.

Faye

> Subject: Re: Need advice on a documentation
> system
> From: David Neeley <dbneeley -at- gmail -dot- com>
> Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 11:49:34 -0500
>
> Kelly,
<snipped>
> As for version control--I worked at one place
> that used SourceSafe for
> docs. I would not want to do so again if I
> could avoid it. By
> contrast, the CMS systems often use a database
> for version control and
> do so in a manner that is very easy to use and
> to administer.
>
> With your situation, I daresay that a few hours
> on that site would be
> time extremely well spent.
>
> David

http://mail.yahoo.com