Re: Conventions

Subject: Re: Conventions
From: HBacheler -at- aol -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 09:21:23 EDT

I will assist in this, knowing that others will have additional comments.

I will use Suzette's questions as "Questions", My responses as "Answers"

In a message dated 7/27/05 11:07:52 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
suzette -dot- leeming -at- gmail -dot- com writes:

How do you refer to/depict each of the following:

Question #1: - The name/title of a window (The Main Widget Administration
window)

Answer #1 (in 2 parts)
:
A) I would use the same title that the developer used
for the name/title. I would use a font (and size) that is
in alignment with
your documents standard font size (i.e., 10-pt, 12-pt,
etc).
This would ensure that the reader of the document would
have a direct
correlation between the document and the text in the
window..

B) I would also ensure that the List of Figures, Tables,
Examples
in your table of contents (TOC) use the same information.

Question #2: - A key on the keyboard (i.e., press Enter, or F1, etc.) (I
used to
put in square brackets and bold)

Answer #2: - All keyboard keys should be "all caps" and "BOLD"

Question #3: - A button in the application (i.e., click Continue)

Answer #3 - You can use a 'text box' and have the text in Upper/Lower case,
or
possibly have a 'icon' with 'beveled edges

Question #4: - System and Error messages (I usually use Courier)

Answer #4, in 2 parts:

A) Screen/Monitor documentation
If you are able to - capture the actual text that is displayed on the
monitor,
and put it in your document - as is (Snag It! works.)

The font doesn't matter in that case (WYSIWYG)

B) Cautions, Warnings, Hazards in documentation

Depending on the severity of the 'danger - loss of life, injury, and the
like'

Create 'bannered text boxes', with labels, in all caps, bold, such as
'DANGER',
'HAZARD', 'CAUTION'. You can shade the banner.

Have the text of the bannered text box in a smaller font size.

Question #5: - Text the user needs to type (Type: /u/public)

Answer #5

I would use Arial, or monospace, for the user's manual entry
of information.

For 'web' type information I would use following convention,
using the < and > signs.:

<< http://www.xxx.xxx >>

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com