Re: Certification--a new concept. Discuss

Subject: Re: Certification--a new concept. Discuss
From: Al Geist <al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 15:32:09 -0400

I can see both sides of this argument, and I've been on both sides of it. My kids are now adults and out on their own, but for a while there were a lot of missed baseball games, or trips to the movies because I had to attend some seminar, or other program to "enhance" my status at the company, or spend a weekend on a project to make sure it was "done right." One day I woke up to an empty house (I was also a single parent from their teenage years on) and found the place empty. As for the company that I worked so hard to make myself more valuable for....it was long gone, the victim of economic times and inept senior management. Although I am very close to my children, all those times I could have been with them when they were younger are lost. Unfortunately, that is something you only discover with hindsight.

However, with that said, I can also see the need to constantly improve your worth. The key is to get those certifications in such a manner that minimizes the impact on your family. If companies are shown the ROI for offering certification programs during working hours is far greater than the potential for worker turnover, then that might be the path to take. If you work for a company that could care less about you as an employee, then it might behoove you to dust off that old resume, put on a suit and tie and find a new office elsewhere.

Anyway...that's my 2-cents.

Al

T.W. Smith wrote:

Well my son turned 10 just the other day,
He said Thanks for the ball Dad, come lets play.
Can ya teach me to throw? I said
Not today, I got a lot to do. He said Thats ok. ...

(Chapin)

--

Al Geist, Geist Associates
From Concept to Completion

Cell: 505-400-4128
E-mail: al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com <mailto:al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com>

"When the situation is absolutely hopeless, you have nothing to worry about."
Compliments of The Monkey Wrench Gang

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com