Re: New TECHWR-L Poll Question - Why discuss certification?

Subject: Re: New TECHWR-L Poll Question - Why discuss certification?
From: Bill Swallow <techcommdood -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2005 10:16:32 -0400

> I think most people will answer "improve the image of the
> tech writing field," or "established recognized minimum
> competency," but are really motivated by a desire to
> keep people *they* see as "unqualified" out of the market
> for jobs. Since there's no option that says, "to reduce
> competition," I'd have to choose "other/none of the above."

I'm not concerned about unqualified people entering the market.
They're entry-level material, and everyone starts out unqualified
anyway. I'm at a point in my career where I'm not concerned about
being in a pool of underqualified writers, and I have my own ways of
weeding out underqualified job applicants. I see general technical
writing certification as a kind of decoration for those who do find
themselves comfortably nestled in a tech writer role and have
demonstrated skills above entry-level expectations. The difference
between a title on the job and the certification would be that the
certification does carry with you to other jobs (no matter what you're
titled as, you have the distinction of being recognized as a competent
technical writer).

--
Bill Swallow
42.8162,-73.7736