Re: Certification--a new concept. Discuss

Subject: Re: Certification--a new concept. Discuss
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2005 12:56:28 -0700 (PDT)

> I disagree. A manager must understand the requirements and
> communicate them clearly to the staff...which certainly
> should involve "clear and concise" composition.

Before I start...the above example is a business writing skill, not a
technical communication writing skill.

First...I responded off-line that Windows isn't the only technology
(I was using it as an example of somrthing that I've had in common
over 4-5 gigs in VERY different industries)...we should be grounded
in all OS stuff...try to write a decent TIVO TV set-top box without
understanding Linux.

Second...sure. Concise writing is desirable. However, a deliverable
can be effective and acceptable with less than the clearest writing.
It will also probably get done whether the manager can write concisly
or not.

OTOH, it may not be acceptable being a week late (poor project
planning) or a resource short (I didn't know we needed a DBA and none
are now available).

Hence, while clear writing is good, managing the project is a
requirement. Note...this doesn't include those writers who receive
daily or weekly instructions or task...then again, they'd not be the
ones who would most benefit from certification.

OTOH, if, like I, you are given a project, told to come back in six
months with a finished deliverable, and to only "bother" your
management with problems that your position in the company doesan't
allow you to fix, then you might be more a target for certification.

John Posada
Senior Technical Writer

?I can win an argument on any topic,
against any opponent. People know this,
and steer clear of me at parties.
Often, as a sign of their great respect,
they don't even invite me."
Dave Barry

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com